Wednesday 6 February 2013

Initial Research

After receiving my brief I conducted some initial research into the subject of cyborgs.


I think the photograph above is the perfect visual embodiment of the typical cyborg. The doll-like complexion and cut-out features upon the 'skin' allow for this to be recognisable as a humanoid, but the airbrushed features give the figure an almost perfect, non-human, appearance, which to me, describes exactly what a cyborg is.


This image is from an Advanced Photoshop tutorial website, and I love the composition of the shot, and love the nude tones that have been used to make the cyborg part of the human the main part of the photograph. I would like to achieve the same concept that this photograph has achieved, of showing the skin translucent with the mechanics underneath. However, I would prefer to show the skin peeling, rather than a fake cut out.


This artist has painted their cyborg mechanism onto their model, using black, white and grey paint to create the cogs and mechanics, and red to make the skin look like it is bleeding. I love this concept, and would like to experiment slightly with the idea of drawing my mechanics rather than photographing them. However, I am not a very good artist; my photography is stronger than my drawing, so I think I will still overlay my photography, rather than my drawings. However, it would be good to experiment and have some fun!


This photograph has been taken from a magazine, and edited by a photographer. I love the composition of this image, but I don't know who took it. The editor has taken the middle section of the model and replaced it with mechanics that make it look like the spinal cord of a robot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment